And that is exactly what has characterized this week at Boden garrison shooting stadium when an international pistol shooting competition has been held. – It feels good that we are finally able to organize an international competition in Sweden, says Lars Carlsson, one of those responsible for the competition. [by Mats Carlsson]
Pistolskytteklubb Week in Boden is an international invitational, known as CISM regional shooting tournament, CISM stands for the International Military Sports Council.
– We invited 10 nations besides ourselves and there were five who came, 22 shooters and one or two leaders per nation. A pretty decent results nowadays as we know that many people have it tough with their defense budgets, travel and participation in this event is something that sooner can be deleted when it becomes savings requirements. We were also a little late with the invitation for various reasons, continues Lars Carlsson.
Sweden’s best resort
The courses for 25 and 50 meter shooting in Boden’s garrison where built for military shooting World Cup in 2008 and, according to Lars the best facilities in the country for this type of competitions.
– They are no better facility in Sweden than these we have in Boden, this is where we will arrange competitions. Moreover, it is easy to arrange this when we have a very good support of Boden’s sporting club, he says.
During Thursday’s final discipline, the Military Rapid Fire match the Swedish victory became to I-19’s soldier Maria Öberg who incidentally won all individual events during the week.
– Of course I am happy with this week, although I have not shot at the top of my ability. But most pleased I am that we finally organized a competition in Sweden, if we are to be invited to other nations, we must organize one ourselves too.
Another of the participating Swedes is Maria Claesson to see another dimension of shooting and sports in defense.
– This is also a way to recruit soldiers, if, for example shooting can train you to become a soldier, full time or part-time Office. If you get there, the Home Guard soldier can come into this community and get an additional dimension and development of their shooting, said Maria and continue.
– I myself was former civilian employee of defense Eksjoe and when I finished I trained militia soldier.
One of the Swedish men is Alf Boman, a former officer in the South Skåne Regiment and now an officer in the Home Guard in Skåne. Alf, soon to be sixty years of age showed during the Military Rapid Fire that the technology was there when he managed to get to the shoot-off for silver and bronze.
– Considering how I started in today’s contest, twelve points away on the first four series, then I lit up as well and shot really well, only 13 away on the other eight series.
It’s great to see that you are still there and fighting, he who took the silver is only 25 years old and I turn sixty next week, said a satisfied Alf Boman after shoot-off.
”Friendship through sport”
During the week, participants competed in the diciplines Center Fire Pistol, Sport Pistol and Military Rapid Fire. Monday and Friday were days of travel and Tuesday to Thursday was devoted to training and competition, it all ended on Thursday with an award giving ceremony and as it should be with a fellow dinner in true CISM spirit of “friendship through sport.”
– It feels good that we can have this good cooperation in the world and there are many good examples, that I remember so here directly is when we were at the Military World Championships in China earlier this year, where the North Koreans and South Koreans sat and talked with each other in friendly spirit and we’ve read and heard how the relationship is between the two countries, says Lars Carlsson.
During this week, August 26 to September 1 implemented a new CISM events in Sweden systems, military Championships in orienteering in Eksjoe.
Note admin: pictures of this tournament have unfortunately been deleted from the official Army website